BUT, the way they eat the soup dumpling was…
We don’t eat soup dumplings like that.
Yes, yes, I know, “as long as I can put it into my mouth then why bother?” But I’d only agree with you in the big-picture sense that the goal of any eating is the “eating”. Yes, we gotta be able to put the food into our stomach.
Imagine using chopsticks. You can certainly hold them with two hands, one stick in each, and grab food like a mantis——but is it the most optimized way? Is it the most effective way? Did you experience the maximum benefit out of using chopsticks this way?
Or eating sandwiches. You can surly eat a sandwich layer by layer, but is it the way sandwich is designed to be? The best experience comes with the crunch of the bread＋the fresh of the vegetable + the juice of the meat explode in your mouth at the same time——that is how a sandwich can achieve the reaction of ohh-sooo good.
You got my point.
So today, with the following content, I will explain in extreme detail the most authentic, proper way to enjoy a soup dumpling. It’s THE WAY to get the ultimate mind-blowing soup dumpling experience. Get ready.
1) Have a basket of properly steamed soup dumpling in front of you. The skin cannot be too thick; you should be able to see through the soup sitting inside the dumpling.
2) Pour yourself a plate of Chinese aged black vinegar. You’re welcomed to add shredded ginger, but this is not a requirement. Most hole-in-the-wall soup dumpling shops don’t even have ginger.
3) Take your chopsticks and reach for the soup dumpling. Open the tip of your chopsticks, just slightly wider than the width of a soup dumpling. The key here is your chopsticks needs to be dry, the tips should not be oily or moist. You’ll need the friction on the tip to pick up the dumpling firmly. Wiggle the dumpling to detach itself from the basket if necessary.
4) Dip the soup dumpling in the black vinegar sauce. Then pick up a spoon on the other hand. Position the soup dumpling on top of the spoon in front of your mouth.
5) This is a very important step: take a tiny bite (like poke a hole in the dumpling with your teeth), blow into the hole if it’s too hot. Tilt the spoon towards your mouth, use the chopsticks to press the top (so it stay in the spoon), and slurp the soup.
6) Once you drink up the soup, pick up the dumpling and dip into the vinegar again. Devour the rest in one bite.
This is how Chinese eating a soup dumpling. This method allows you to drink the soup in the way it’s designed to be, and experience the texture explosion as it’s promised to do.
BE a soup dumpling master today.